Hello friends! Did you ever try Rohu Fish with Poppy Seeds? It’s a popular Bengali fish recipe called Rui Posto (রুই পোস্ত). This is a delicious fish preparation which we love to make often for lunch to have with plain rice. I am sure you also will love this tasty Indian fish recipe as much as we do!
We need few basic ingredients, that are always available in our Indian kitchen. Please note, we will be using mustard oil for this recipe as this is a Bengali recipe!
So, go through the recipe blog for the list of ingredients and steps for making Rui Posto or Rohu Fish with Poppy Seeds at home easily.
Please let me know in the comment if you and your family like this recipe! I will be happy to answer if you have any question. Stay in touch for more delicious recipes.
Rohu Fish with Poppy Seeds | Rui Posto Recipe | Bengali Fish Recipe | রুই পোস্ত
- 200 gm Fish cut into bengali style thick pieces
- 10 gm Onion sliced
- 10 gm Tomato make puree using mixer
- 1 pcs Green chilli sliced into half
- 2 tbsp Poppy seeds make paste using mixer
- 60 ml Mustard oil
- 1 tbsp Panch phoron
- 1 tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Salt
- Let’s start by giving a lengthwise cut to the green chilli.
- Slice onion and tomato in long pieces.
- Transfer sliced tomato into a mixer and make tomato puree.
- Take poppy seeds into mixer, add some water and make a paste of poppy seeds.
- Now take rohu fish pieces in a bowl and add salt and turmeric powder.
- Mix salt and turmeric powder well with the fish.
- Heat up a kadai on medium flame and add mustard oil.
- When the oil is hot, add fish pieces to fry. Be careful with the splattering hot oil.
- We will fry both sides for about 5-6 mins flipping in-between.
- After few mins flip them to the other side.
- Make sure both sides are fried evenly, flip again if required.
- Pick up fried fish into a plate and keep them aside.
- Now add panch phoron to the remaining hot oil on kadai.
- Add sliced onion and green chilli.
- Mix them well and cook until onions are soft.
- Add salt when onion is soft.
- Add tomato puree and mix with onion.
- When smell of raw tomato is gone, add the poppy seed paste to it.
- Then mix everything well.
- Add about 1 cup water and prepare the gravy by mixing nicely.
- Now add fired fish pieces to the gravy.
- Allow it to boil for about 5 minutes, so that fish can absorb the flavour of the gravy.
- To finish, let’s add little bit of mustard oil on top and rohu fish with poppy seeds is ready to serve.