I will demonstrate how to prepare a delectable veg dal in this blog. I have used moong dal here for this tasty Indian cuisine. This recipe is an excellent choice for vegetarians or vegans, and goes well with rice or roti both types of food. You can easily follow along and prepare this delicious veg dal dish at home because I will be taking you step-by-step through the recipe. So, gather your ingredients, and let’s begin!
Veg dal or Moong dal
- 200 gm Moong dal
- 100 gm Carrot
- 100 gm Cauliflower
- 50 gm Beans
- 75 gm Potato
- 25 gm Capsicum
- 10 gm Green peas
- 2 pcs Green chilli
- 1 bunch Coriander leaves
- 5 gm Ginger
- 4 tsp Salt
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- ½ tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 pcs Bay leaf
- 100 ml Vegetable oil
- 20 gm Raisin
- 1 tsp Garam masala
- Wash and cut all vegetables in small pieces.Chop coriander leaves and shred the ginger.
- Heat up vegetable oil in a kadai in a medium heat.
- Wait for the oil to heat up, then addcauliflower and potato. Stir them to fry using a spatula. Make sure they don’tstick to the kadai.
- Then add carrots, beans, capsicum, green peas, 1 teaspoon salt and mix them well.
- Fry them all for about 5 mins until they turn into slightly golden color.
- After frying pick up all vegetables in a plat and keep aside.
- There will be some vegetable oil left on the kadai and it is already hot. We will use this to fry the moong dal. Wash the moong dal in a bowl and drain the water. Now, add cumin seeds, bay leaf and moong daal to the oil.
- Stir them all together for some time. After some time, you will find out that the dal is not sticking to the kadai anymore. That’s when you know it is done.
- Now add 1 litre hot water to the dal. Keep thehot water ready upfront. Add 2 teaspoon salt, ginger and green chilli and mixthem all together.
- Then cover with a lid and let it boil for 10 mins.
- After 10 mins check if the dal is half boiled. You can pick up some dal on spatula and press by figure to check how much it is cooked. It should be little soft but still separate form each other, to ensure it is half cooked.
- Add turmeric powder, mix it well with the dal.
- Now add all fried vegetables, add sugar, and mix it well with the dal.
- Then cover it with a lid and let it boil for another 5 mins so that all our ingredients get mingled with each other to bring the unique taste of this recipe.
- After 5 mins, open the id and check if the dal and vegetables are cooked properly. If not, you may keep it covered with lid for additional time. Otherwise, add garam masala, raisins, and coriander leaves. Mix them well.
- Now veg dal is ready to serve.